ATF 2015: Making It – Sold Out We’re officially sold out! Check out the list of who’s coming to ‘ATF 2015: Making It’ in Sydney next month. We’ll be releasing the program in the coming weeks, but would encourage everybody to keep the opening event in their diary – a public talk on the afternoon of Tuesday 20 January. If you missed out on registration, email email@example.com to join the ATF 2015 waiting list.
2015 Membership is now open Thank you to everybody who has already renewed their membership for 2015. If you’re considering becoming a financial member, TNV offers lots of great benefits including advocacy, discounts to events and priority access to a range of services and resources. Find out more here | Become a financial member
2014 Wrap Up It’s been a fantastic year for TNV. Click here to read a summary of our 2014 achievements. We wish you a safe and restful time over the Holiday Season and New Year break and look forward to working with you all again in 2015!
National Curriculum – Sidelining Theatre, Dance and Drama The Review of the National Curriculum was released in October, and is currently under consideration by state and federal education ministers. TNV sent a letter to Federal Minister for Education, Christopher Pyne MP, and the new Victorian Minister for Education James Merlino MP, urging them to reject the recommendation of the National Curriculum review panel, which is that there are too many art forms and there should be a focus only on music and visual arts, sending dance and drama/theatre into English and Physical Education as elective subjects. Read our letter published on Arts Hub.
10 Dec – LPA Webinar on Energy Efficiency in Productions and Touring Live Performance Australia and Julie’s Bicycle UK will present this 45-minute environmental sustainability webinar designed for Production Managers and Assistants, Lighting, Sound and AV Departments, Tour Producers and Production Assistants. Date: Wednesday 10 December. Times: WA: 4:30pm, NT: 6.00pm, QLD: 6:30pm, SA: 7:00pm, VIC/NSW/TAS: 7:30pm. To register, email Greener@liveperformance.com.au by 9am on Wednesday 10 December.
16 Feb – Apply for a 2015 Churchill Fellowship Applications are now being accepted for the 50th Anniversary round of Churchill Fellowships. Open to Australian Citizens, these fellowships are awarded for the purpose of pursuing an overseas investigative project of a kind that is not readily available in Australia. Applications close 16 February 2015. General Information | Fellowship Application
New Victorian Minister for Creative Industries – Martin Foley In line with Labor’s intention to develop ‘Creative Victoria’, a new agency for the arts, design and film, and to develop a creative industries policy as well as an arts and cultural policy, the new Victorian cabinet includes a Minister for Creative Industries instead of a Minister for the Arts. Martin Foley, who had the shadow arts portfolio in opposition, was sworn in last week. We congratulate Martin on his appointment and look forward to continuing to work with him to strengthen the small to medium arts sector in Victoria. Find out more about Minister Foley.
VCE Drama & Theatre Studies Playlist – TNV Members selected for 2015 Curriculum The Victorian Curriculum & Assessment Authority (VCAA) has released the 2015 VCE Drama and Theatre Studies Playlists – it was great to see our members featured prominently. Selections include touring productions by KAGE, Melbourne Theatre Company, Regional Arts Victoria, Malthouse, Theatreworks, Ilbijerri, La Mama, and Bethany Simons. Download the 2015 Playlist.
15 Dec – Inclusive Theatre Practice – St Martins Youth Arts Centre – FreeThis practical workshop will focus on inclusive planning, tools and processes, access points and how to integrate children and young people with disabilities and learning difficulties into the artistic process within a theatre workshop context. St Martins Youth Arts Centre, South Yarra, 10am – 3pm, Monday 15 December. RSVP via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
EOI for Storage facility – Melbourne Arts organisations Are you looking for secure and efficient storage for set, props and technical equipment? Justimagine Productions and First In Last Out are exploring creating a dedicated, custom-built storage facility around 20km north of the Melbourne CBD. Companies and individuals are invited to submit an Expression of Interestfor 2015.
10 & 11 Dec – AusDance – International Dance Educators WorkshopDesigned for Primary and Secondary Dance and generalist Teachers and Dance Practitioners, this workshop will help build your skills in order to teach Dance or use Dance to teach other subjects. Library at The Dock, 107 Victoria Harbour Promenade, Docklands. View the program | More info
12 Dec – The VicHealth Innovation Challenge: Arts – Call for Entries Got a concept that will take arts participation in a new direction? VicHealth is looking for new ideas that take advantage of digital technology to achieve physical and mental wellbeing by bringing people together to be involved in active and participatory arts activities. You could share in $100,000 in start-up funding to test your idea. Find out more here.
Feb 2015 – Online Workshop: Digital Culture and Cultural Policy – Registrations now open This interactive online workshop, by University of British Columbia, will address how cultural organisations should approach digital culture. The course will take place over three sessions on 10, 17 and 24 Feb. Fee: $240 (Canadian), Registratons close 27 Jan 2015. Find out more.
12 & 13 Feb – The Fear of Art, the 32nd Social Research Conference, NYC – FREE! The Center for Public Scholarship will present a research conference in New York City entitled ‘The Fear of Art’ on 12 and 13 February 2015. Chinese artist and activisit, Ai Weiwei will give the keynote address. Registration is now open. Read about the conference.
23 Apr – IETM Spring Plenary Meeting in Italy – ‘Regeneration’ – Registrations now open IETM, an international network for contemporary performing arts, will be hosting a meeting in Bergamo, Italy from 23 – 26 April 2015. The theme is ‘Regeneration’ and the meeting will discuss the need for a sustainable future. Find out more.
- Wendy Martin to replace Jonathan Holloway as the next Artistic Director of Perth International Arts Festival.
- Eamon Flack announced as the new Artistic Director of Belvoir.
- Claire Harris steps back from her Creative Producer role at Outback Youth Theatre to take 12 months maternity leave.
- Todd MacDonald finishes up as Artistic Associate of Queensland Theatre Company to replace Chris Kohn as Artistic Director and CEO of La Boite from January 2015.
- Brendan Ross steps down as Director of Out of the Box Festival.
- Virginia Hyam joins Stalker as International Projects Manager, while *Katherine Budd joins the Stalker and Marrugeku teams.
- Angela O’Donnell will finish as Performing Arts Touring Manager of Artback NT to commence as Senior Arts Broker at Arts NT.
- Playwriting Australia welcomes theatre artist Leah Purcell to the Board, Atul Joshi as General Manager and Amelia Morgan-Hunn as Philanthropy Manager.
- Paul Gurney steps down as CEO of Next Wave to take up an exciting new position, watch this space!
- Production Administrator, Sydney Theatre Company. Apps close 12 Dec.
- General Manager, Northern Rivers Performing Arts Inc, Apps close 19 Dec.
- Artistic Development Manager (Various Roles), Merrigong Theatre Company, Apps close 19 Dec.
- Executive Director and CEO, Next Wave. Apps close 15 Dec.
- Head of Production, Belvoir. Apps close 24 Dec.
- Tour Producer, arTour, Apps close 16 Jan.
- Engagement Officer/Education Manager, Victorian Opera. Apps close 12 Dec.
- Creative Producer, Outback Youth Theatre. Apps close 10 Dec.
- Production Manager, Back to Back Theatre. Apps close 18 Jan.
- Open & Corporate Teaching, NIDA. Apps open for May 2015 interviews.
- Producer: Theatre and Dance, Artback NT. Apps close 23 Dec.
Compiled by Bethany Simons for Theatre Network Victoria.
Stay in the loop: Subscribe to TNV’s monthly eNews.