The Victorian Independent Producers Initiative (VIPI) will support independent producers, and through them, independent artists and companies in the performing arts, based in Victoria. This initiative has been designed in consultation with the Victorian independent performing arts sector, specifically independent producers, with input from other key stakeholders across the Victorian creative industries.
VIPI is an initiative of the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria, delivered in partnership with Theatre Network Australia.
Through supporting independent producers, this initiative aims to:
- Improve career and development opportunities for independent producers to increase their numbers and capacities, and the sustainability of independent producing practices;
- Increase the number of Victorian-based independent artists and companies who are working with independent producers;
- Improve the sustainable practice of Victorian-based independent artists and companies, locally and globally;
- Build the diversity of independent producers working in Victoria, both the diversity of representation (e.g. First Peoples, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, People of Colour, people living with a disability and people based regionally) and the diversity of practice / curation;
- Increase the reputation of Victoria and Victorian producers – internationally and nationally; and
- Increase the amount of work represented by Victorian producers through market development opportunities
What is available
VIPI is made up of three core components:
- The Producers Mentorship Program
An initiative that will see early / mid-career independent producers undertake a tailored and paid mentorship program. The producer mentees will receive a part-time wage at a rate of $45,000 per full-time year (pro rata) for up to two years and be mentored to deliver a workplan, which is tailored to what they would like to learn / work on, with the support of a producer mentor. The producer mentee will also have access to other support, including a professional development fund, in addition to their wage. The producer mentor will receive a fee for ‘hosting’ the producer mentee.
- The Unlocking Capacity Grant
A multi-year grant of up to $35,000 per annum for a maximum of three years for independent producers of performing arts who have a minimum three years of experience and who dedicate at least 50% of their time to their independent producing practice. Recipients will need to demonstrate how the grant will “unlock” their capacity and therefore lead to sustainable independent producing practice, beyond the grant period.
- The Salon Series
The Salon Series will bring together groups of people already involved in VIPI and provide an access point to VIPI for those outside of the program. The Salon Series will include professional development sessions, networking and peer learning for the independent performing arts sector. The series will respond to the most urgent skill requirements and provide a forum for conversations that the sector needs to be engaging in.
The initiative aligns closely with Creative State – Victoria’s First Strategy for the Creative Industries, in further increasing State Government support and investment in the independent creative sector.
Still have questions?
For more information, please read the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) and/or contact the VIPI Program Producer, Rani Pramesti on email@example.com or call 03 9947 1015 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.