There will be one final round of the Unlocking Capacity grant in second half of 2021.
VIDEO ABOUT UNLOCKING CAPACITY ROUND 2.
Round 2 closed on 17 September 2020, at 5pm AEST.
You can find the video from the Unlocking Capacity info session, here.
You can find the powerpoint presentation, here.
We are currently preparing the full transcript from the info session, which will be uploaded soon.
Please find more information about the Unlocking Capacity grant, below.
Please find the Frequently Asked Questions, here.
Please find the Unlocking Capacity guidelines on the Creative Victoria website.
Given the impact the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has had on independent producers, as well as the broader performing arts sector, some of the Unlocking Capacity guidelines have been revised.
The things that panellists may consider under each assessment criteria have been updated. Please make sure to align your responses to the application questions accordingly.
DATES FOR ROUND 2
Round 2 closed on Thursday 17 September at 5pm AEST.
There will a third and final round of Unlocking Capacity in early 2021.
ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR TARGET GROUPS
For under-represented applicants into the VIPI program who have lived experiences as First Peoples, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse and/or People of Colour, Deaf and/or Disabled people and/or people based regionally:
to discuss additional support that you can receive in preparing your application.
Unlocking Capacity aims to:
- Improve the career opportunities of independent producers in Victoria and the sustainability of their practice.
- Increase support for diverse practitioners (e.g. First Peoples, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people, Deaf and Disabled and people based regionally);
- Increase opportunities for Victorian artists to work with, and be supported by, independent producers.
- Increase the reputation of Victoria and Victorian performing arts producers – internationally and nationally; and
- Increase the amount of work represented by Victorian performing arts producers through market development opportunities.
WHO IS THE UNLOCKING CAPACITY GRANT FOR?
Unlocking Capacity is for Victorian-based independent performing arts producers who have a minimum three years of experience in independent producing.
This program encourages applications from producers who identify as First Peoples, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse, Deaf and Disabled people and regionally based producers.
There are six Unlocking Capacity grants available for Rounds 2 and 3.
WHAT COUNTS AS VICTORIAN-BASED INDEPENDENT PRODUCING?
- Providing tailored performing arts producing support for independent artists, artist collectives and/or independent companies, with occasional short-term producing contracts for small to medium companies or major funded performing arts organisations as a part of a suite of projects they support.
- As a rough guide, 50% of your professional time is dedicated to your independent producing practice. We are aware that this may have changed due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. However, 50% of your professional time needs to have been dedicated to your independent producing practice, pre-pandemic.
- At least 50% of your independent producing portfolio comprises of Victorian-based independent artists, artist collectives and/or independent companies.
If you do not have three years of experience in independent producing yet, you may be able to receive support through the Producers Mentorship Program.
ALTERNATIVE PATHWAYS INTO THE UNLOCKING CAPACITY GRANT
Selection and then completion of the VIPI Producers Mentorship Program makes you eligible to apply for the Unlocking Capacity grant.
WHAT IS ON OFFER?
The Unlocking Capacity grant will provide an independent producer with up to $35,000 per annum for a maximum of 3 years. This grant can be used for the producer’s wage as well as professional development activities.
WHAT IS NOT ON OFFER?
You cannot be working full-time in an organisation.
You could be working part-time in an organisation, in a salaried position, and apply to support your independent producing practice.
The Unlocking Capacity grant cannot be used to support your work as a producer inside an organisation.
Your application will be submitted through the Creative Victoria Grants Portal.
For the application drafting tool and guidelines, please go to the Creative Victoria Grants Portal.
In the guidelines, the things that panellists may consider under each assessment criteria have been updated. Please make sure to align your responses to the application questions accordingly.
You will be asked to submit supporting material, including a work plan for your first year of activities.
Your application will be assessed by an advisory assessment panel, comprising of arts professionals and creatives, against the program aims and assessment criteria.
This process is administered by Creative Victoria, with input from Theatre Network Australia. Acquittals and reporting will be administered by Creative Victoria.