She is currently both the Australian representative and Vice President of ASSITEJ International – a global association of Youth Theatre and Theatre for Young Audiences – of which TNA is the Australian host and secretariat. Sue has been the Artistic Director of Polyglot Theatre since 2000, leading the company into new territory with interactive works, community process and inclusion of play in the company’s theatrical offerings for children. Polyglot has an international reputation for contemporary art works that engage in unique ways with children to create experiences that combine theatre, play and visual spectacle. Sue’s distinct child-centred creative processes have been the subject of masterclasses, theses, forums and discussions nationally and internationally including key industry events in Sweden, London, Melbourne, Singapore, Macau, Sao Paulo and Norway. Her works have been performed in 15 countries on five continents in five different languages. They have been presented by Australia’s major festivals and some of the world’s leading arts centres, plus ASSITEJ International Festival and Congress in both Adelaide in 2008 and Warsaw in 2014. Her works have won five awards, including the 2015 Green Room Award for Innovation in Contemporary Performance for Young People, and nominated for the Age Critics and Helpmann awards. Sue has been keynote speaker for five national industry events, is mentor for independent artists in Melbourne, Edinburgh and New York, and engages in the professional development of artists who wish to work in the Theatre for Young Audiences space through Art Centre Melbourne’s Kiln project, Melbourne Fringe, and ArtPlay masterclasses.
ASSITEJ Advisory Group
Established in 2020, and meeting quarterly, this is a group of Theatre for Young Audiences and Youth Arts representatives from across the country.
- Amanda Wright, Australian Theatre for Young People NSW
- Christian Leavesley, Arena Theatre Company VIC
- Helen Hristofski, Barking Gecko Theatre Company WA
- Jay Emmanuel, Independent WA
- Kyle Walmsley, Corrugated Iron Youth Arts NT
- Luke Rogers, Canberra Youth Theatre ACT
- Rhen Soggee, ActNow Theatre SA
- Robert Kronk, Flipside Youth Circus QLD
- Romi Kupfer, Independent VIC
- Sarah Parsons, Outback Theatre for Young People NSW
- Susannah Sweeney, DreamBig Festival SA
- Tariro Mavondo, Western Edge Youth Arts in VIC